Thursday, June 24, 2010

I have moderate-to-severe acne. What will my dermatologist prescribe?

I have looked into Retin A but I hear acne gets much worse away.





I know Accutane can also have severe side affects.








TO make things harder, I don't have health insurance so I can't go to the doctor very often.





With Accutane you have to have blood tests often.





So what are some medications I can look into?I have moderate-to-severe acne. What will my dermatologist prescribe?
Given that you don't have insurance, you might want to pursue a treatment that insurance doesn't pay for, like Photodynamic therapy with BlueLight/ClearLight (as long as your acne is limited to just your face).





However, if money is a big factor, keep in mind that both Wal-Mart, Target, and Publix are both offering prescriptions for many antibiotics (generics) for $4. A full listing of these are available at the link below for Wal-Mart's (just click on the antibiotic section -- take the list with you to your doctor's appointment):


http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.g鈥?/a>





You can also use non-prescription washes, like SalAc, available from Amazon.com or dermstore.com, which can be just as effective as prescription washes for acne.





So, with a combination of $4 monthly generic antibiotics (if you get them from Wal-Mart or possibly Target) and the correct non-prescription acne wash (like SalAc), then you may be able to control your acne at a low-cost. Your dermatologist may want to prescribe something else, but you will need to stress your absence of health insurance.





Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
rate my teacher